Transcription Page

Wong Kong Ying et al

As part of the Chinese Historical Wrongs Legacy Initiative, we’ve digitized a small selection of inquests and inquiries from 1872 to 1934, found in series GR-0431. These were chosen to reflect the experiences of early Chinese immigrants to B.C. – their living and working conditions, and their unfortunate accidental or unusual deaths.   They range from a woman working in a brothel in Barkerville who died of natural causes to three sawmill workers who died from malnutrition. Learn more.

*All transcriptions are provided by volunteers, and the accuracy of the transcriptions is not guaranteed. Please be sure to verify the information by viewing the image record, or visiting the BC Archives in person. 

BC Archives GR-0431

*Please note that archival source materials are original historical documents that have not been censored, reviewed or otherwise altered by the Royal BC Museum. Some materials may contain content that is racist, sexist or otherwise offensive. The Royal BC Museum is only the custodian of archival materials; the content does not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Royal BC Museum.

Current Page Transcription [edit] [history]

Inquest resumed

On: Wong King Ying, Lung Yuen Hing Lui Pong Deceased,

at the Court House, Alberni, in the County of Nanaimo, Province of British Columbia, on Friday, February 2nd, 1934, at 7.30 p.m.

Arthur Leighton Counsel appearing for Crown.


Names of all Jurymen and their Foreman called - All present.

Mr. Leighton examining.


Q. 260 What is your full name?

A. Joseph Cecil Thomas.

Q. 261 You met the mailboat that brought these sick Chinamen up and the dead Chinamen from Canoe Pass. Will you give the history right on up to the present time?

A. On January 19th, 1934, at seven p.m., I was called to Stone's Wharf in Port Alberni. On board the mailboat at the dock I found seven Chinamen, three of whom were reported sick. Their names were Saeto Wone, Loung Dick Fong, and Lui Pong. A preliminary examination of these men showed they had a paralysis of the nerves supplying the muscles of the legs and were unable to walk without assistance; temperature was normal. There were no signs of any acute infectious disease. The history suggested the cause of neuritis to be beri beri, so they were sent to Hospital for further investigation. Two dead bodies were removed to the morgue by the Police. Lui Pong, aged 53, was the most severe case, showing signs of heart failure, with collapse. He complained of severe pain in his abdomen, shortage of breath and inability to walk on account of the muscle weakness and pain in his legs. His condition grew worse in spite of heart stimulants and treatment in hospital, and he died on January 20th, about 7 p.m. Saeto Wone, aged 61, had the same complaint on examination, but no heart symptoms. His history went back

BC Archives GR-0431/Box 13 File 6/BRITISH COLUMBIA. ATTORNEY GENERAL./Inquisitions/inquests conducted by coroners in British Columbia.

Current Page Discussion [edit] [history]

Image 28 of 160